- House Speaker Nancy Pelosi issued a terse statement calling for Gov. Andrew Cuomo's resignation.
- Also calling for Cuomo to step down is the entire New York congressional delegation.
- The political fallout has been significant after the conclusion of a sexual-misconduct inquiry.
- See more stories on Insider's business page.
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi on Tuesday called on Gov. Andrew Cuomo of New York to resign, joining a growing chorus of lawmakers demanding his resignation that now includes every member of Congress from the state.
-Jacob Gardenswartz (@gardenswartzj) August 3, 2021
The state's attorney general, Letitia James, on Tuesday morning unveiled the results of an investigation that concluded Cuomo had sexually harassed 11 women.
"Under Attorney General Letitia James, a comprehensive and independent investigation into the allegations against Governor Cuomo has been completed," Pelosi's brief statement said. "As always, I commend the women who came forward to speak their truth. Recognizing his love of New York and the respect for the office he holds, I call upon the governor to resign."
The statement, including its reference to Cuomo's "love" for New York, echoed her past statements on the matter. In March, however, she stopped short of calling for Cuomo's resignation, saying "the governor should look inside his heart, he loves New York, to see if he can govern effectively."
Video: New York Democrat calls for Cuomo's immediate resignation: 'It's over' (FOX News)
- Afghans crowd to the airport as guns are fired into the air Afghans, including women and children run towards Kabul airport as gunshots are heard. Video credit: Jawad Sukhanyar Reuters
- CNN visits devastating scene after earthquake killed more than 1,200 At least 1,200 are dead and 5,000 injured after a 7.2-magnitude earthquake struck Haiti. CNN's Matt Rivers reports from Les Cayes, Haiti, where the epicenter of the earthquake was. CNN
- U.S. has shown it's willing to abandon its allies in time of need after Afghanistan evacuation, says FDD Bill Roggio of the Foundation for Defense of Democracies says Taiwan is wholly dependent on the U.S. for its security, and Taiwanese leaders should be concerned after the U.S. withdrew its forces from Afghanistan. CNBC
Pelosi and Cuomo have long-standing family ties; in 2015, Pelosi brought Matilda Cuomo - Cuomo's mother who was the first lady of New York when his father, Mario Cuomo, was governor - to Congress as one of her guests for an address by Pope Francis.
Earlier Tuesday, both Mayor Bill de Blasio of New York City and Eric Adams - the 2021 Democratic nominee to succeed de Blasio - called for the governor to be impeached.
-Ross Barkan (@RossBarkan) August 3, 2021
Lt. Gov. Kathy Hochul - who would take over as the first female governor of New York should Cuomo step down or be impeached and removed from office - said that Cuomo's behavior was "repulsive and unlawful" but that it was up to the state legislature to determine what happened next, an apparent reference to impeachment proceedings.
-Jon Campbell (@JonCampbellGAN) August 3, 2021
"Because lieutenant governors stand next in the line of succession, it would not be appropriate to comment further on the process at the moment," she said.